Updating my programming PC for solely B4X

RickV

Updating my programming PC solely for the purposes of B4X. I know the system requirements are posted however want to check with Erel that this will be sufficient for the next 4-5 years with b4x. Posting this question here should benifit newcomers also.
Which is the better OS Win 10 or Win 11 for future B4X releases and up-grades?
Any input from other users would also be greatly appreciated because I I only want to do this once.

newpc.jpg

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
MS is removing has removed Win 10 from the shelf. They don't want people to buy Win 10 anymore.
However it may still be supported at least another 2 years or extended another 2 years. It depends on MS decision.
If you have choice, I will suggest you just go for the newer version.
Logically, I think future version of B4X can run in both version of windows as long as it is 64-bit.

Last edited:

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll leave the question about the computer to the pros, I'll just add that if at all possible, I'd recommend a larger monitor. I'm using a Dell P4317Q (as is Erel), and it is glorious to code on.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just my opinion but I gave up on Intel CPUs when AMD released Ryzen. The CPU is much more value for money and the integrated graphics are much better than Intel UHD.

if you are not getting a graphics card I would suggest you also look at AMD Ryzen for the CPU.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just my opinion but I gave up on Intel CPUs when AMD released Ryzen.
Just a reminder, that there is this text in the B4A AVDManager. So buying something else than an Intel CPU might cause problems in creating emulated devices.
1676539158677.png

@tchart: Do you use emulated Android? If so, how?

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just a reminder, that there is this text in the B4A AVDManager. So buying something else than an Intel CPU might cause problems in creating emulated devices.
View attachment 139390

@tchart: Do you use emulated Android? If so, how?
Hi Sandman. I haven’t done much on B4A for a few years now - mostly doing B4J. Thanks for pointing this out as I wasn’t aware of this.

BTW I have actually run into this same issue with running Docker on Windows with AMD.

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Get a bigger monitor, go windows 11, and I installed android studio and use the emulators from it. Works great for me. I have a Ryzen 7 on my new laptop.

RickV

Thanks everyone, will order the above with the larger monitor and win 11.
I think the larger monitor will also benefit the failing eyes haha ☺☻

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'll leave the question about the computer to the pros, I'll just add that if at all possible, I'd recommend a larger monitor. I'm using a Dell P4317Q (as is Erel), and it is glorious to code on.
That monitor is so large that it is measured not in inches, but in feet :oops:

vecino

Licensed User
Longtime User
On my new computer (the old one broke the power supply and burned the motherboard and graphics card). Luckily the hard drive was fine. To develop with B4A I use a virtualbox virtual machine with Windows 7, RAM 2.5 Gb and hard disk of 60 Gg.
With B4A loaded in memory and compiling some project I have 1.5 Gb of RAM left over.
It runs fast and I don't need more at the moment.

QfAUWUq.png

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
On my new computer (the old one broke the power supply and burned the motherboard and graphics card). Luckily the hard drive was fine. To develop with B4A I use a virtualbox virtual machine with Windows 7, RAM 2.5 Gb and hard disk of 60 Gg.
With B4A loaded in memory and compiling some project I have 1.5 Gb of RAM left over.
It runs fast and I don't need more at the moment.

QfAUWUq.png
why ? :confused:

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just wanted to comment that you don't need a high-capacity, high-performance computer, a simple computer is enough.
Good thing, because at the price of the components.... :rolleyes:
I see... I ve also use virtualbox with windows 7 for testing... with low memory... but for testing not for creating apps from scratch :)