Games What about a frogger/crossy road game?

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, that is the feedback I was looking for πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Maybe vary the scenery at random so you don't always start at the grass area.
Yep, at first I was doing it, but then what I did was changing the scenery as you progress. But I think it would be nice to have some randomness, like 1 of 10 times you start at another location...
Being able to jump backwards is a big deal in the original frogger games, otherwise you end up stuck on a road, knowing you're going to die and you can't jump backwards out the way. So adding a backwards jump for me is more important than left or right. Left or right were only really needed in Frogger to let the player get to the different end places on each level.
I think I'll implement it finally...
Sometimes the coins show ontop of the cars instead of being infront or behind them, making it very difficult to collect them.
Yes, there is a bug somewhere I still have to fix...
Add the current highscore to the Title screen, and maybe have the highscore on the game screen while playing rather than just showing it on the gameover screen.

It wasn't clear to me how to select a character once I unlocked one, maybe the character you unlock should automatically be set as the player when it's unlocked?
The overall GUI needs to be re-thinked I guess...

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would keep the current tap control. but add in swipes for backwards and sideways. I'm guessing you're using IP_TouchUP for movements as currently the Chicken jumps when I lift my finger, so adding in swipe controls would be easy. I do this in my Tetris clone for movement and dropping blocks, tapping just makes the block rotate.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm guessing you're using IP_TouchUP for movements
Oh, that could totally explain why I felt there was some latency issue. I thought I was imagining it.

I like the game, btw. I concur with the opinions above (except going sideways - I'm not sure that is needed). However, I felt a need for more variations in deaths. The feathers are awesome, but after that there isn't a lot variation with animation or deathsound. Like, for the moose it would be nice to have two horns fly away. (Not sure what would work for the other animals.) Also, for the feathers, have them move slightly sideways, to sync with the direction of the car?

I suppose you could say I noticed this because I died a lot. πŸ˜‰

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would keep the current tap control. but add in swipes for backwards and sideways. I'm guessing you're using IP_TouchUP for movements as currently the Chicken jumps when I lift my finger, so adding in swipe controls would be easy. I do this in my Tetris clone for movement and dropping blocks, tapping just makes the block rotate.
Oh, that could totally explain why I felt there was some latency issue. I thought I was imagining it.
At first the jump was made in the Touchdown event, but after looking at Crossy road, as they have to handle also the swipes you have to jump after the gesture is made, you cant' jump at touch event as the character would allways jump forward. In Crossy Road there is an animation when you touch the screen (like you're charging the jump, I'm also planning to add that animation). I guess without that animation it may look like a latency issue...
I allready see there is a lot to do...

developer_123

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello melonZgz, searching the forums for topics on how to start the implementation of Admob in multiplatform games, I came across this thread and it seems to me that you have made very good progress since the first video I saw of the first message. I did not know the version of Crossy Road, and I see that it uses a 3D perspective, which naturally makes it look striking, since the effect of the shadows increases the sensation of reality. I see in your version of CROSS THE ROAD, that your characters have a certain sense of volume, but the background images and the cars are in 2D. Of course, the images you have are very good, but maybe visually it would help if you introduced that same sense of volume in the other elements of the game and not only in the character. Of course that means developing the graphic part, which is not easy at all, but I see that you are on the right track.

I would like to have the link if you already have it in the store to be able to test it and have more observations already playing it.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yep, I know it's been a long time, but I realized that this project was never released officialy (only a beta), so I've decided to give it a try so I can launch it and see how it works.
I've been doing a lot of updates during the last weeks, so this is what I have done:

So here is what I've added/updated
New graphics. First level completly updated with new trees, new grass, new objects... Also all the characters are rendered now with a Toon Shader so I think all the graphics finaly match together (it's been a very big headache for me to have the feeling that everything is OK)
New mechanics. Yes, you can go backwards now! I think it adds a lot to the gameplay. I've done it so that if you touch the screen the character jumps forward, and if you swipe down the screen the character will go backwards.
New way to unlock characters. Now you unlock them automaticaly as you reach certain number of coins, and you will play with them as soon as you unlock them.
New GUI. Updated here and there. Now in the main screen is where you can select the character an access to other options. The resume screen has also been updated with the achievements. Achievements wich appear i a pop up style during the game itself.
Sometimes (2 out of 8 and randomly) the level will change, and you will start in the desert or ice
New sounds and music
A lot of bug correction here and there

PS1: I still have to finish things here and there, and during the next week I'll release a new beta, a version that once tested enough I hope it will be the first official release.
PS2: What do you think about this for a new icon (with the help of some AI, it still need some touches):
iconoaimini.png

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent! My son loves this game already so a full release would be great. Nice icon too. What prompt did you use for that and is that dall-e or something else? I'm starting to experiment with AI art to generate background images and maybe ingame sprites.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
What prompt did you use for that and is that dall-e or something else? I'm starting to experiment with AI art to generate background images and maybe ingame sprites.
It's made with https://ideogram.ai/ It's very easy to use and it can do texts. I usually start with a prompt, and it generates 4 images. There are a lot of tags you can use (3d render, painting, photo...). What I do is repeat and repeat until I see something I really like, then you can choose the image and start working with it: you select "Remix" and set the weight (1 to 5), and try and try... and after that you may need some post production (photoshop/Gimp)
You can see some promo images generated (they will need some manual touches): one for the crossy game:

whHUz09JQwWFzZX-38BMPQ.jpg

And one for the Hill Racing one:
Sm8_p5bkSk2EDbRq4TFQAQ.jpg

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
beta2.png

Finaly I've uploaded a new beta version. This will be almost the same game that I will lunch as the first official version. I still have to add sounds and fix things here and there

List of changes from the first beta (sorry I repeat some things from my last post):

• New graphics. First level completly updated with new trees, new grass, new objects... Also all the characters are rendered now with a Toon Shader so I think all the graphics finaly match together
  • New mechanics. Yes, you can go backwards now! I think it adds a lot to the gameplay. I've done it so that if you touch the screen the character jumps forward, and if you swipe down the screen the character will go backwards. Just swipe down fast to jump backwards
  • New way to unlock characters. Now you unlock them automaticaly as you reach certain number of coins, and you will play with them as soon as you unlock them.
  • New GUI. Updated here and there. Now in the main screen is where you can select the character an access to other options. At the game itself you can see the max score. The resume screen has also been updated with the achievements.
  • Achievements will appear as a pop up style during the game itself.
  • Sometimes (2 out of 8 and randomly) the level will change, and you will start in the desert or ice
  • New sounds and music (still have to add sounds to the bear and rhino)
  • A lot of bug correction here and there
PS: about the jump backwards, you have to be fast. What I do is detect the touch event, I count 40ms, if you havent moved the finger you jump forward automatically. I've noticed that if I wait more there is a noticeable delay, and if I wait less it's hard to jump backwards unless you do it very fast. Another option would be that if you touch the bottom of the screen you go backwards and if you touch another part you jump forward...

Well, please test if and tell me what you think... (click the image to download)

30rDlqTATwazN7z8pNGLuA.jpg