Which new language to learn??

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've not done a great deal of desktop programming for a good few years now. My hey day was back in the time of vb6 and this is my real only language. Started reading C / C++ but then .net came out and I gave up as it was rumoured that .net would take over most languages that were around at the time. A few years later I wanted to start back up so to speak. I first thought was update my vb skills so bought a couple of vb 2008 books (newest at the time) then heard about C#, this had plenty of good press and was said to be the new language to learn. So I got myself a big book and started reading again!!! Soon again put on hold as got a couple of web projects to do and got interested in the wordpress system.

Anyway, that's pretty much the short version of were I am now. And, now I have been asked by my brother to create him a 'system' for his car diagnostics garage. There is no real time limit on it so I want to go knew and leave vb6 behind. It really is showing it's age these days. This will be a database driven app to log jobs / invoicing etc. I could do the lot in Access but I'm not keen on the new layout / tools since Access 2003.

My BIG question that this lot has been leading up to is what DB / Language combo would you lot advise and why. My 2 choices of language are VB or C# as I already have the books. DB wise if left to my own devices I would probably use Access backend anyway but could be swayed to others. Which will probably mean setting up a server.

What are your choices. Getting quite into b4a now, If only 'it' was a choice lol.

Platform is windows btw so no Linux variants please.

Thanks

vb1992

Licensed User
Longtime User
b4a/mysql on a tablet for your brother.

B4a on a tablet, as the client, with maybe local mysql on the client for temp storage,
then send it to a simple server with a MySql database server there. (can run on a windows machine)

B4a, can generate PDF invoices/reports

You can get a blue tooth keyboard working for the tablet if you really needed a keyboard for more input related tasks...

otherwise, Vb.net?

I would rather stay in Android/B4a code personally,
especially if you have the freedom to pick the language
for the system.

Last edited:

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
hmmm, not a bad option there vb1992.

Will ask him see what he thinks. Could well open a can of worms though as both him and his business partner are avid Apple fans :sign0080: or as I call them 'Iphone Rangers'.

As for VB.net? VB2008 is VB.net isn't it? Or am I wrong....again lol.

I assumed it progressed from .net to 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010... (think thise numbers are right)

My books are both Microsoft step by steps' VB 2008 and C# 2010.

Choices, choices...

netchicken

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been writing a 'manual' for vb.net 2010. It a student focused guide rather than a comprehensive book, and pretty basic, but if you want a copy I can pdf it to you. I am in the middle of ADO.net at the moment I would choose VB.net and C# as languages to learn. That would work on your existing skills and give you some modern skills. Once you get into the joy of classes you will see how good .net is.

If anyone wants a copy just send me a message and I pass back a dropbox link.

Last edited:

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another option is to create it as a localhost web application...

Install XAMPP on his computer and you'll have an instant Apache server with PHP and MySQL support.

So you'd code the backend in PHP and use MySQL to store all data.

Then the choice of frontend(s) is (or are) up to you.

An HTML web interface would be obvious - you could teach yourself the latest HTML5 techniques while developing that front end.

And you could create an Android (B4A) client too - just create PHP web services that suit the requirements of the B4A client.

Martin.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have been writing a 'manual' for vb.net 2010. It a student focused guide rather than a comprehensive book, and pretty basic, but if you want a copy I can pdf it to you. I am in the middle of ADO.net at the moment I would choose VB.net and C# as languages to learn. That would work on your existing skills and give you some modern skills. Once you get into the joy of classes you will see how good .net is.

If anyone wants a copy just send me a message and I pass back a dropbox link.

Nice one netchicken; Classes does seem to be the bit I need to get my head round. If you could send me the file or link that would be awsome.

Cheers

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for all the responses guys. Will look into the PowerBASIC. Had been thinking of a web interface but to be honest they don't really have a system that could be used as a server. They just have a laptop in office and other laptops out on 'shop floor' used as diagnostic systems. So will have to rely on services to start everyday. Not sure on their reliability these days but they used to be a bit iffy..... Although, I guess I could always do it as an online system. Would be too hard to implement seems though I already look after their site and hosting.

dhouston

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started with PowerBasic but would never go back and you will find other PureBasic converts who agree. PureBasic costs less ($99 for lifetime license) and is cross-platform. It took me about 20 minutes to port a large application from Windows to Linux and about the same time to then port it to OSX.

Roger Garstang

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why limit yourself. Learn everything. Language is just syntax. They all have the same basic model. My Favorites lately are PowerBASIC, C#, PHP and other web design languages- HTML5/CSS/Javascript. I bought Basic4Android a while back and just now started to use it too since work finally got a ruggedized Motorola ET1 to play with. Learning a little bit of everything really helps understand the hows and whys in other languages.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm slowly but surely learning to read various languages, like you say it's most small variations in syntax anyway. One thing you must realize though is that I'm from England, and stereotypically we only like to speak one language. lol

:sign0013: