ChatGPT!!!!!

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the last two days, I was pushing ChatGPT to generate some PHP code. But after 15-18 updates, I stopped and realized that it was impossible to fine-tune the code to achieve the desired result.
Were you trying to fine-tune the code in the same/original conversation that you started with?

If so, I find that when a conversation gets too long, the performance of ChatGPT gets lower.

Try starting a new conversation with the latest version of the code and then have ChatGPT fine-tune it.

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Take comfort, you are not alone with this problem. In Germany, too, you can now work until 67. On the other hand, what do you do when you retire? Feed the ducks in the park?
Don't look at it negatively, it blocks your mind. A certain age doesn't just have negative aspects. You're on the wrong track. What age also brings is experience. And this experience is what you can build on. The problem is that this is hardly recognised or rewarded in today's society. But if I want to have an effective programme code, who do I give this task to? A newbie from university or an experienced programmer. That's really just marketing and persuasion again. That's the real dilemma.

To come back to the AS/400. As a young technician, I was enthusiastic about the simple structure of the system, but it still had a decisive advantage. It had evolution in it and did not constantly break with the achievements of the past. Unfortunately, this strategy is no longer relevant today. What do I mean? Well, a customer once bought a System /36, the predecessor of the AS/400, and when it became outdated and too slow for his needs, he was offered a System /38. The hardware and operating system layers were simply exchanged for the applications and data layers. The customer didn't actually notice anything about this exchange, but his system was much faster and more efficient. The same thing happened when IBM replaced the System /38 with the AS/400, and later with the AS/400 advanced series. Many customers were still working with software and data that already existed on the /36. Madness.
In addition, the system itself was incredibly scalable. Theoretically, there were no limits. The customer grew, his system grew with him. That's how it should be.
But I'm getting off the subject. The topic of AS/400 reminded me of my time in Pomezia, a town south of Rome. It was here that I discovered my love for Italy, an unforgettable time...
- Lunchtime in the IBM cafeteria: vast quantities of espresso are consumed, deadly for a European north of the Alps...
- In the evening in the marvellous pizzeria in Torvaianica, in the middle of the sea, a catwalk from the beach leads out to the sea. The pizza chef puts on a huge show, whirling a giant pizza dough through the air in the middle of the restaurant and baking each pizza in front of the guests...
- Lira notes with unbelievable values on them. Everyone was a millionaire in Italy...

I miss that.

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
"You can"? Or are you forced, otherwise you won't get your pension, like here?
Forced, depending on your date of birth. The government must make savings. And of course, the best way to do this is with the weakest. It's always the same game. Of course you can leave sooner, nobody will keep you. But then you don't get the full pension you're entitled to. Very quickly you end up with 67% of the actual amount.
It's unfair, especially as taxes and social security contributions are still deducted from the ‘princely’ pension. The values so nicely calculated for everyone are always gross values.
Now for someone who has worked in an office all their life, this may not be a problem. But a roofer who is 67 and still climbing on the roofs of houses in all weathers? What's the point? It's absolute nonsense and once again, like so many things in this country, it's not thought through to the end.
You see, it's the same bad game everywhere. We recently discussed this with friends in Catania. Apart from minor variations, it's the same everywhere.
And well, our French friends always start a revolution in the street. I admire them for that. That's exactly what I miss here. Here, everyone keeps their mouth shut: ‘That's just the way it is, what can you do...’ Arrghh!!!

It's offtopic, I just wanted to answer you Luca. Doesn't really belong here in this wonderful thread.