Designer working problem

latcc

Banned
I would like to point out a serious problem with the designer.

If you wish to remove an image from the images list you select the image to remove and click REMOVE. OK.

Now you get a message box which has YES, NO CANCEL buttons.

You expect this to be a standard Windows 'Delete - are you sure' type confirmation box - this is how all windows programs work and it is second nature to click YES to CONFIRM deletion.

Problem is... this is not a standard confirmation message but another option altogether. It asks if you wish to delete the file itself. I have only just realised this after the frustration of 'losing' image files from the FILES folder of my project.

The message directly after clicking a DELETE button should be the standard confirmation, and not a further option. I can remove image files manually from the FILES folder easily if I wish to do that.

What is even worse is that deletions from the designer do not go into the recycle bin but are permanently deleted.

PLEASE, PLEASE, EREL. Change this. Its awful and has lost me lots of files inadvertently. I only realise they're gone when the program brings up a file missing error.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It would seem to me to be to be good practise not to keep your only copy of a file in your development working directories.

Whenever I create an image/sound/data file I always have it backed up outside of the B4A environment, either within the environment of the application in which I created it, or if there are lots of files and or downloads, in a separate resources backup file for the application. And at the end of a day or appropriate time, this gets copied to another drive or somewhere in the cloud for safe keeping.

I like the ability to be able to remove a file from the working environment without having to do it manually, and if I make a mistake, I just copy it back in.

Last edited:

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Note that the default button is No.

All files under Files folder get packed inside the assets folder. This is how the packager works. This means that it is likely that you really want to delete the file from the Files folder.

I agree that it would have been better if the file was available in the recycle bin. I will add it to the features list.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The "warning" message that is shown with this dialog specifies the question:
"do you want to DELETE the file..."

latcc

Banned
Yes but I use computers a lot and it becomes second nature to click yes to whatever you have asked the computer to do. You don't expect a different topic to be proposed in the same way the normal confirmation dialogue appears.