Hardware Recommendations Requested

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am having a hard time determining which device is a good choice for Basic4Android for 2011.

- Support for Android Debug / USB Debugging Mode is not listed for most devices. I would like it included.
- Some have a custom UI and not the standard Android UI which is also hard to determine which the device has. I would like a standard UI.
- Slow Processors or slow touch screen response on some which I do not want.
- Built in 2 Gigs + of storage memory or no storage memory built in.
- USB slave port and USB host port if possible.
- Built in Flash Player
- Built in Android Market Software

I would like to have the USB host port for adding accessories to the tablet.
Currently, I am not sure if 256 MB ram of memory is sufficient or should I have at least 512 MB ram as the minimum memory?

What make/models and specs do you guys recommend thus far?

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you looking for a phone or a tablet?

I'm not an expert on either, but I can tell you what I have (the Archos 70-250G 7" WiFi-only tablet) and how it measures up to your wish list:

I'm not sure what you mean by "Support for Android Debug," but the A70 does have an option for "USB debugging" mode. A nice feature is that it has a screenshot function built in.

"Some have a custom UI and not the standard Android UI which is also hard to determine which the device has." -- The A70 has 800x480 dpi and I think that the UI is fairly standard.

"Slow Processors or slow touch screen response on some." A70 has a 1G processor which you can underclock to 800M to increase battery time (supposedly, not sure that's proven).

"Built in 2 Gigs + of storage memory or no storage memory built in." The A70-250G has an internal 250GB hard drive and no SD slot. When apps reference the SD card, it uses the HD instead.

The A70's USB port is slave, but an optional cable converts it to a host, but without power pass-through.

A70 has 256MB ram, which supposedly is not enough for Android 3. The A70's WiFi range is a lot less than the iPhone 4's, but I've never had a dropped connection in my house. I like the A70 and given the alternatives at this moment in time, would recommend it. It is the only Android device with 250GB of internal storage. Weighs under a pound.

Upvote 0

Bob Katayama

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure what you mean by "Support for Android Debug," but the A70 does have an option for "USB debugging" mode. A nice feature is that it has a screenshot function built in.

Some call it "Android debug mode and some call it USB debug mode". My understanding is without this support, I have to manually transfer the apps to an SD card to install.

Also, I am looking for an Android tablet with at least V2.1 OS.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

James Moxham

Licensed User
Longtime User
- Support for Android Debug / USB Debugging Mode is not listed for most devices. I would like it included.
- Some have a custom UI and not the standard Android UI which is also hard to determine which the device has. I would like a standard UI.
- Slow Processors or slow touch screen response on some which I do not want.
- Built in 2 Gigs + of storage memory or no storage memory built in.
- USB slave port and USB host port if possible.
- Built in Flash Player
- Built in Android Market Software

I can't answer all of those but maybe this will help:

Debugging mode. I've not tried the USB debugging mode because I found out you can download via WiFi. It is almost instant, and I think pretty much all the devices can do wifi so maybe that solves that one?

Slow processors. I have one that probably is classed as slow - Google for instance and internet browsing is painfully slow. However, apps run at full speed, and Basic4Android programs are amazingly fast.

The USB support I think is an Android problem, not a hardware problem. There are discussion threads that have been going for years with people pleading for device support.

If I was buying another device (which I might do soon), the thing I would look for is internal bluetooth support. I think with bluetooth you can connect to external serial devices and from there, can connect to many devices.

Flash player - are there apps to do that? I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

Android Market. I've been learning a lot about that lately. The 'market' on my apad is not the same as other markets. It seems that markets are different depending what country you are in - a bit like regional DVD coding. I saw an app the other night that unlocks other markets. That could solve problems. I also found a website where you can download .apk files without having to try to scan in those square barcodes. Download the .apk to your PC, copy it to an sd card and run it from the sd card. Takes about as long as downloading from the market, plus you have a backup copy on the PC.

HTH

Upvote 0

marathon332

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm personally using the Archos A70 since mid-December 2010.

Works excellent with Basic4Android and the OS has been updated by Archos twice since I got it. The tech support is great and the Archos community is very supportive. (ArchosFans.com)

The only thing I don't care for is the mediocre front facing camera which could have been a bit nicer but works okay for my needs.

I even found a BlueTooth GPS for $15 that works like a top so I'll be making some GPS apps this year.

Flash support is there which was a huge consideration when I considered buying it.

It's a cool device that's gotten a lot of great reviews from users and only minor criticisms...

--Steve

Upvote 0