Harmony OS Next

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there B4H for Harmony OS Next in the future? I think it's the chance for Erel's Anywhere software

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A proprietary OS launched not even five years ago, for some Huawei devices, is "the chance" for Erel?

What chance is it that you're seeing?

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
IMho, it should be anyway Android-compatible OS

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was under the impression that Harmony is android compatible and B4A already covers it...

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was under the impression that Harmony is android compatible and B4A already covers it...

The presently they are compatible,but in the future they aren't,are they?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
The presently they are compatible,but in the future they aren't,are they?

There is a chance that you may be right but if all developers develop with the same given tools for android (although I am aware that there is a specific tool for harmony) I do not know if this chance to diversify is great. Also if they want developers to port easily their Android code to Harmony then most of the code must be compatible I think.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
See this. It is the response of WebChatGPT chrome plugin in the question "Can I develop harmony app with Android Studio?"

Yes, you can develop HarmonyOS apps using Android Studio. To facilitate this, Huawei provides a plugin called HUAWEI DevEco Studio. This plugin enables you to develop HarmonyOS applications directly within Android Studio, making it convenient for Android developers. If you don't have a Huawei device, you can still use this plugin to simulate and test HarmonyOS apps.

1. Install the HUAWEI DevEco Studio plugin in Android Studio[1].
  2. Develop HarmonyOS apps using HUAWEI DevEco Studio in Android Studio[5].
  3. Simulate and test HarmonyOS apps even without a Huawei device[1].

Note: Developing HarmonyOS apps using Android Studio requires the HUAWEI DevEco Studio plugin, providing a seamless development experience for Android developers[5].

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is a chance that you may be right but if all developers develop with the same given tools for android (although I am aware that there is a specific tool for harmony) I do not know if this chance to diversify is great. Also if they want developers to port easily their Android code to Harmony then most of the code must be compatible I think.
The my openion is promotion of B4A to the chairman of Huawei Company for his capitals supported Erel's company by chinese speaker alike Erel did with Apple products.(Bill promoted MS-DOS to IBM,Compac,etc)

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
The my openion is promotion of B4A to the chairman of Huawei Company for his capitals supported Erel's company by chinese speaker alike Erel did with Apple products.

If I understood correctly then I suppose this is up to @Erel to decide this...

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I understood correctly then I suppose this is up to @Erel to decide this...
It's Erel's opportunity make Anywhere Software grow up as one of the best companies in the world.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure that if HarmonyOS is AOSP based - it must be always compatible. And incompatible OS will be a new name, project, devices.
Breaking the compatibility - is ... stupid.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure that if HarmonyOS is AOSP based - it must be always compatible. And incompatible OS will be a new name, project, devices.
Breaking the compatibility - is ... stupid.
The current Harmony OS is compatible to run Android apps because the kernel has build-in with a compatibility layer to support Android apps due to the ecosystem. Android is using a modified Linux kernel.

This is not the case with Harmony OS Next. All the AOSP libraries will be totally remove from the kernel and it is no longer has Android or Linux kernel compatibility. It means, coming forward it is true that the new version will not compatible with Android apps since the compatibility layer is removed.

Harmony OS developers have migrated much of the commonly use apps (probably the apps developed and used in China) to Harmony OS.

Harmony OS apps will be developed using 2 programming languages, ArkTS and Cangjie.

The former is another version of TypeScript (a superset of JavaScript) and the latter is similar to Python syntax but with improved performance comparable to C++ or Java.

This is what I understand so far.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm shocked. They are shooting to their leg...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm shocked. They are shooting to their leg...
With what Google do to the Android developers recently, aren't you think it is shooting to it's leg?
I am now getting less interest to develop and use Android.
I don't think we should be worry for Huawei. They will be sure catching up quickly.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am now getting less interest to develop and use Android.
Yes, i feel the same already 5-6 years...
But popularity of Android anyway cannot be compared to HarmonyOS and other 3rd-party mobile OS'

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User

Great resource but one thing is not clear to me yet. Will it continue to be compatible with Android and introduce a part of it which is not?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great resource but one thing is not clear to me yet. Will it continue to be compatible with Android and introduce a part of it which is not?
My thought is third party developers may find ways or workaround to make it compatible, even it may not 100% the same.
Look at Linux has something like Wine to run Windows app. Virtual machines like VMWare, VirtualBox and emulator.
Even now some users can install Gbox to run Google apps on Harmony OS.
It is possible it will be ways to support Android apps since the projects are open source. Like Android has AOSP, Harmony OS also has an open source version call Open Harmony. It just a matter of time. Unless the company decided to make it harder for the developers. Like the closed source iOS, macOS and Windows.