Wish IDE wish

hwatech

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like the B4X IDE very much, I have gotten very used to some of it's nice features that I don't see in other IDE's; but there is one thing that I'm wondering about...

As a vi user for the past 25 years and having worked in visual studio/VB6/quickC for almost as long as well as being more of a keyboard than mouse person, I tend to use the ESC key a lot (probably more that I should) and I would find it very useful if the F3 search box could be closed with the ESC key from within the code window. I searched the forum but couldn't find any mention of it so I suppose I may be alone in thinking this would be useful.

And as long as I have the floor, it would be very useful if something like ctrl-F3 or ctrl-shift-F3 could find the next result from the previous search, as F3 does in visual studio...just a thought

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find it...There also may be reasons why this wouldn't work, but I, for one, would find it hugely helpful...

Thanks
Larry

hwatech

Licensed User
Longtime User
because I'd rather not pick through the 25 matches from all the modules and just find the next one in the current module, to me that seems faster but maybe I'm missing something... if F3 isn't the best search choice then I'd much rather see the key used to simply find the next match but then I would lose the ability to customize the search parameters...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The quick search is much better.

Example:

1622437372636.png

1. The current module results are always at the top of the list.
2. You can see all results without moving to each one separately.
3. The matches are marked on the scrolbar so it is easy to find the next one.

Try it for a while.

hwatech

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, you sold me on this idea. I can use ctrl-tab to get to the quick-search pane and then up/dn arrows to get to the one I want and enter takes me to the code, never touching the mouse - sooo much faster. Thanks

I would still like to see F3 or ctl-F3 go to the next in the quick search, but I can deal with it by doing the above