Share My Creation Tool...

hi,

i am developing a chemist calculator in b4i with my little brother @maor, and i have build a tool for my brother to create txt files that i will use in my app.

normally i build my helping tools in VB but i decided to make it in b4j since it has its own designer now what makes it more easier for me to use it.

i will share the source here, maybe it will be helpful for someone.

basically what i am doing with this tool is, copy/paste text from a website and then split/replace the text and create a txt file only with the data i need for my app.

EDIT: download ver2 to load all data directly from the website without to need to copy/paste via jHTTPClient

to run this project you will need the jmsgbox lib from @agraham: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/msgbox-library.34700/

and also: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/jfxtrascontrols-library.35178/

Attachments

• atom generator.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 264
  • atom generatorVer2.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank Ilan
It happens that i also have a little brother as a chemist (in collage) so, as soon as you have your app i would love to show it to my brother!

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank Ilan
It happens that i also have a little brother as a chemist (in collage) so, as soon as you have your app i would love to show it to my brother!

thanx Enrique, no problem i will let you know when its finished. :)

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ilan, why no automate the data scraping from http://www.periodni.com/ with jsoup from @TheJinJ for example??

1) First, record all elements --> pass to a list or file or sqlite DB
2) Load every element page and record element charactheristics into a sqlite DB

Ex: element physical properties
B4X:
<div id="physical">
    <table>
    <caption>PHYSICAL PROPERTIES</caption>
    <tr><td>Density / g dm<sup>-3</sup>:</td><td>1847.7</td><td>(293 K)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Molar volume / cm<sup>3</sup>mol<sup>-1</sup>:</td><td>4.88</td><td>(293 K)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Electrical resistivity / &micro;&Omega;cm:</td><td>4</td><td>(20 &deg;C)</td></tr>
    </table>
</div>

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ilan, why no automate the data scraping from http://www.periodni.com/ with jsoup from @TheJinJ for example??

1) First, record all elements --> pass to a list or file or sqlite DB
2) Load every element page and record element charactheristics into a sqlite DB

Ex: element physical properties
B4X:
<div id="physical">
    <table>
    <caption>PHYSICAL PROPERTIES</caption>
    <tr><td>Density / g dm<sup>-3</sup>:</td><td>1847.7</td><td>(293 K)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Molar volume / cm<sup>3</sup>mol<sup>-1</sup>:</td><td>4.88</td><td>(293 K)</td></tr>
    <tr><td>Electrical resistivity / &micro;&Omega;cm:</td><td>4</td><td>(20 &deg;C)</td></tr>
    </table>
</div>

do you mean to get data from the web to my app?
i want to use an offline solution so i save all data to txt files and load them to my app (ios app)

or do you mean to read all data programmatically from the website to my b4j app and like this save the txt files instead of copy/paste??
this is also a possibility but i wanted my brother to sweat a little :D

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but you are right it will be helpful to show also a solution of reading directly text from website so i will add this option too so maybe it will help someone here in this forum.

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok i have uploaded version 2, now it goes much faster. thanx @inakigarm for pointing it to me.
i am using JHttp to read data from the web now you need only to enter the symbol and click "Do it faster" and all
data will be loaded to the textfields.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Ilan,
Thanks and it looks great.. the video is so fast though..
I could only recognize the Periodic Table of Elements because I failed it in the chem class.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi ilan.
Very useful app.. thanks for sharing.. are you planning to port it to b4a?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi ilan.
Very useful app.. thanks for sharing.. are you planning to port it to b4a?

thanx Beja :), do you mean to port the tool? or chemist calc (b4i app)?

usually i create external tools that will make developing easier for me, instead of collecting those data from the web via copy/past i created this tool
that will do it by entering only the atom symbol. i used this tool only once so this is not really an app only a helping tool.

if you meant chemist calc then it depends on how it will do in IOS.