Which homecomputers did you have?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I started with a Atari 400 w. 16 KB of RAM. Hard fight with my parents back then as they thought it was a toy/console.

Later I bought myself a C128 (no money for the C64). It was replaced by an Amiga 500, 2000 and 1200. I loved these machines. Remember GFA-Basic? One could compile it to an exe-file.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also got a C128, because it was meant as something I could grow with. I think I perhaps spent an hour in total in C128 mode on it, and about an infinite number of hours in the C64 mode, if my calculations are correct.

Edit:
I just wanted to add that I still can't fully let go of the C64 and from time to time I take a look at demos on Youtube. Check these out, for instance:

Mathematica by Reflex - made in 1995 and put on Youtube in 2015

A Mind is Born - this demo was made in 2017 and is only 256 bytes - not a typo
For the interested, here's an article where the creator explains the code, well worth reading: http://linusakesson.net/scene/a-mind-is-born/

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My family first PC is a NEC Powermate with 100MHz of Intel CPU running Win95. Nothing much can be upgraded to this desktop. I was 16 and has no knowledge of programming until my younger brother started to create website using HTML with notepad. My first programming was C and then Java when I enter college at age 21.
1589433015718.png

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I started with a Commodore C116 (16kb ram) in 1985. Followed by a C128 and then C64.
I then switched to Atari STe with a 60MB(!) HDD ( ? ) in 1990 (or so).
A fews years later i then Switched to PCs. I can´t remember how many Computer i had in the meantime :D

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My first was a TRS-80 Model I around 1980, then a TRS-80 Model 4 around 1983, then a PC clone with 10MB hard drive around 1986.
I bought QuickBasic 4.5 around 1986 and started programming professionally.
Then I built a few clone PC's for myself, but then started buying Dell PC's because they did a good job of updating the drivers for their motherboards.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My first computer was the one my father bought in 1982 for his business, an Olivetti M20 (CPU Z8001 16 bit, 128KB RAM, 2 x 5.25 floppies, 320x200 graphics).
First language was Basic8000 interpreter burnt into ROM (quickly found those "magic" instructions, peek and poke, that led me to explore RAM to see where and how a loaded program was sitting .. and how to unprotect a loaded one).
At least a couple of years later I received a C64 and after some months I bougth a second-hand drive for it. But earning money in the DOS world was too easy at that time so I quickly moved to an Olivetti M24 which let me earn enough money to (one day) buy a Compaq DeskPro386 (the one I loved most). Meanwhile I had discoverd Turbo Pascal and felt in love with it (yes, I had to try other languages like Fortran and C when at the university, but TP remained my first, real love).
Entering the 486 and Pentium era, PCs became commodity items, their overall quality quickly started to degrade (nowadays they're just "plastic" to be used for something more than two years) so IMHO there's no point to mention those boxes..
LANtastic teached me about LANs, Prolog introduced me to AI, 300/1200bps modems showed me a larger world (and, along with meeting foreign girls during vacations, pushed the need to study some English..eheh)

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I began with a Commodore 3032, 32 kByte memory with a cassette recorder as external memory, I think is was in 1979.
It cost about 3000 swiss franks about 3000€, unimaginable prices today. I bought it with my brother in 'time-sharing'.
Then I had an Atari 1040 ST with GFA Basic, one of the best Basics I had used, before VB and B4X.
At the same time I worked on a HP 9836 at work for measurement analysis with HP Basic the best Basic at that time.
The GFA Basic on Atari and then on Amiga and PC was inspired by the HP Basic.
And then a lot of PCs, I had even a hardware PC emulator connect to the Atari.
I also had one of the first Tablet computers, a Compaq Concerto somewhere in 1993 or 1994.
Tablets were not invented by Apple, but the Concerto was probably too early at this time.
I worked with almost all Basics on PCs: GW-Basic, Quick Basic, GFA Basic, Visual Basic 1 to 6.
That's about 40 years history.

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
During the 80’s, my uncle bought Atari and I used to play games at my grandma’s house with the joystick ?. I never thought it was a computer until I am 30’s from online forum.
10066-atari2600.jpg

the joystick on the right is like car gear stick to me while the left side I play it like camera since we don’t have tennis game.

Last edited:

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Started at 6 when my Dad bought an Amstrad CPC 464: 64K RAM, Z80 3Mhz processor, green screen monitor:
download.jpg

The moved into the upgraded model, the 6128, 128K RAM, colour screen, and a built in Disk Drive:
AmstradCPC6128.jpg

Then after seeing how amazing Deluxe Paint was at a family friends house, we got an Amiga 500+. 1Mb RAM, 7Mhz 16-bit 68000 CPU
Amiga_500_Plus_(white_background).jpg

Then, after our house was burgled when I was about 12, we upgraded again, this time to the Amiga 1200: 2MB RAM, 14Mhz 32-bit 68020 CPU, 256 colours onscreen at once
small_amiga-1200.jpg

After that, when I was 17, I got a job at a PC shop (Time Computers) and we got into PCs, that's when things get boring and I'm not posting more picures.

Aside from computers, I've also owned the following consoles over the years:
Sega Saturn, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Gamboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Gamecube, N64, Sony PSP, Playstation 2.

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This was my first microcomputer, but it was mainly used to play games (atic atac, scuba dive, ants, tracka, galaxian invaders, manic miner, jet pack, ...) and to copy some code from some magazines (microhobby) in BASIC

800px-ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

The next one was a PC (486DX2, 4MB RAM, 20MB Hdd, ... hum... I think I'm not wrong with the amount of memory...)

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
First computer was ZX-Spectrum 48K (like José !); also for playing games and copy some code from magazines in BASIC (still remember the cassette sound when loading games --- pipii ?)
Later, an Amiga 500 (what a great computer !) and finnally, I've failed to the dark side of the force (i.e: 486DX 33)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We also has a disk drive. Not long ago I found my copy of "forbidden forest" :)

View attachment 94010
(https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/the-making-of-the-forbidden-forest/)

wow, memories coming up right now. i remember the c64 was on a desk next to a window. where the weather outside was not to hot and not to cold. and even if it was the game took my focus. you could hear kids outside playing football (with a real ball) and even the birds tweeting. not into my smart phone. real tweets. no cellphone no smart home. to turn on the light i really needed to get up and go for the switch ?
if i wanted to remember something i wrote it on a paper. you know that white square with lines on it. i also use a wood tool to do that. it was called back then a pencil.
i really went to shop buying an ice cream with real iron coins and real money. not visa like today. i really miss those days.

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i really miss those days
And what do you say about those days when, after a trip with your friends, you have to see them again two weeks later in a bar to see the pics after the lab developed the film roll...