Which homecomputers did you have?

Pendrush

Licensed User
Longtime User
ZX Spectrum, 16kb ram -> C64 ->C128 -> Amiga 500 -> Amiga 1200 with HDD -> PC 486 DX -> PC Intel Pentium 1 -> PC Intel Core2Duo -> PC AMD 5600+ -> PC AMD 8150 Bulldozer -> PC Intel 4790k
all of that lead to my current two week old monster configuration:
PC AMD Ryzen 9 3950x (16/32) CPU, Kingston 32gb ram (3200mhz) dual channel, nvme M.2 pcie4.0 Corsair P600 1TB, SSD Samsung Evo 850 500MB, 1TB WD Black HDD, 4TB WD Red HDD, nVidia 1080ti in dual monitor configuration, NZXT Kraken x63 watter cooling, Thermaltake S500 TG mid-tower, 1000w Cooler Master Gold power supply.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
all of that lead to my current two week old monster configuration:
PC AMD Ryzen 9 3950x (16/32) CPU, Kingston 32gb ram
wow!! I'm waiting for a brand new laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 AMD 4600U 16G (can't work anymore with my Celeron N2840 with 4G ?)

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorted by date (just the first 3):

p.png

1589461631479.png

1589461683439.png

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ColecoVision (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ColecoVision) Adam expansion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam). Tried to program a flight simulator. Could not (actually realized I'm really suck at such things). Then Amgia 500. Found out that I'm suck at programming it. Then an AMD 286 clone with EGA monitor and Borland's tools: Turbo Prolog, Turbo Pascal, Turbo C and Turbo Assember. I sucked at Prolog and Pascal, but seemed to have an affinity for Assember and C (which later led to dBase III, Clipper Summer 87, PHP (not really, because of =>), Perl and now B4X).

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
LANtastic teached me about LAN
My intro to networking was with Netware 3 combined with ARCNET. Found out that loading files over the LAN was faster than local disk access. Blew mine and my cousin's minds.
Prolog introduced me to AI
AI just doesn't click with me :-(
300/1200bps modems showed me a larger world
Another world that escaped me until I got into LANs (that were attached to WANs, that went off to that strange world called the Internet). Once exposed, I did finally figure out a modem and how to use it to connect to this new world from home (and by then 33.6 and 56K modems were out!)

cristian petersen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started with the Atari 1040 ST to run DOS emulator and Turbo C to learning binary trees, pointers, recursion etc. It was awfully painfull when ended in a forever loop, 10 minutes to restart everything computer, emulator, turbo C. !!!!!!

Last edited:

Ed Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was first introduced to the TI-99 but wasn't all that interested in it.
A short time later we had the Atari 400 initially with 16k but later upgraded to 32k. This was the computer that sparked my interest in computers and programming. Taught myself to program BASIC with machine and later went on to assembly language.
When I could afford it I bought myself the Atari 800XL.
We also had the ZX-Spectrum, Amstrad CPC64, Commodore C64, ColecoVision and some others that I can no longer remember the details of.
I still have the Atari 800XL and still write software/games for it.
Have a lot of great memories of the late 70's and 80's.

stu14t

Licensed User
Longtime User
My first ever computer was a Sinclair ZX81, with 16k RAM pack, built by my uncle, with an addition keyboard. My next was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 32k and then, a few years later a Sinclair QL with those funny microdrives. I stopped programming and didn't restart until I was in my 30's learning Visual Basic on a 486 DX4 100

Acuario

Licensed User
Longtime User
..now I feel old(er)..
My first computer was a Science of Cambridge MK14 in 1979, built from a kit, programmed in hex from hand compiled assembler

mk14.png

..next a ZX80 in 1980, again built from a kit, this time it actually had BASIC
ZX80-right.jpg

..from there a ZX81 followed by an Acorn Atom in around 1982..
acorn_atom.jpg

Then I moved onto mainframes (DEC VAX programmed in DCL) for a few years before getting an IBM PC clone.
From there, too many to list but all PC's running various incarnations of DOS and Windows from 3.0 to the latest used for software and hardware development with various embedded processors
Currently a Thinkpad W510 and Lenovo Ideacentre with SSD (among several of the PC's I use) I use for both software and hardware development (ultimately ESP8266 based projects and B4A apps)

Duncan williamson

Licensed User
Longtime User
A super 80 in 1983, a z80 based kit with 1K of ram, then spent almost a weeks wages expanding that to 16K.
a succession of 286,386 and 486 PC's and currently running a Dell with 1 Tbyte of disk and 32 G of ram
Chose a Dell due to build quality and no issues with drivers

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(interesting...)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I still find it sad that all our journeys end up with getting a PC.
My journey ended up with a Mac. A Mac Plus that I bought an external hard drive for after a while. My friends thought it had so much capacity that it pretty much was a device from a science fiction novel. It was a massive 20MB and the fan in it sounded like a small airplane. ?

For work reasons I later had to switch to Windows. That's when my interest in computers pretty much died and I got used to living with frustration as part of my daily life.

After a couple of years i found Linux via Ubuntu, and oh dear, how things got exciting again! Still on Linux, but I've left Ubuntu behind since long.

Angelo Messina

Licensed User
Longtime User
When I used TRS-80 for the first time in 1978 I was enchanted, I was already programming a formidable computer in ratfor (fortran77) / dibol (Digital cobol),
on PDP11 / 23 Digital Equipment.
Now I use a PC with Windows 10 and a Mac with MacOs