Longtime User
Commodore C-16
1589794018653.png

Then the 128 with HDD
1589794196708.png

alain bertrand

Licensed User
Longtime User
1979 Tandy TRS-80, Zilog Z80 processor, 16 k DRAM ! Assembler, GW-Basic. Cassette tape.
My very first love.
Half an hour to calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 22 by 22 matrix. A revolution.

DarkMann

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow, this brings back memories.

Sharp_Pocket_PC.jpg

The first computer I owned was a Sharp PC-1251. I carried it to school every day and programmed it to death. At the same time we had first a Research Machines RM 380Z and then a dozen BBC Model Bs at school. Messed about with ZX Spectrum 48k and Oric-1 at home before switching to an Atari STE - later upgraded to 4Mb and 40Mb Hard Drive. Over the years I had a couple more Sharps as well because it meant I could program anywhere long before laptops were a thing.

Longed to get back to Acorn, so I had an A3000, then a Risc-PC with a StrongARM and a 486-card. It was Windows PCs from then on, database programming on Windows 3.1 and DOS with Compsoft Delta-V and then Visual Basic.

I guess starting with the Sharp is what made me interested in mobile, so played about with various Palm-based pdas before windows CE and winding up here to be able to program them.

Tjitte Dijkstra

Licensed User
Longtime User
What a surprise to see how old we all are! My first computer was a Schneider Joyce (CPM operation system) and I used the independent wordprocessor Locoscript. Then I discovered the DR Logo language and very soon I made some programs that were published in a "JOYCE Sonderheft." One of my first programs in 1988, was a topography trainer. The source code was less than 3 kB!!
A week ago I finished my last topography trainer ATLAS10 and it is in de Play Store since yesterday.
1988ATLAS1.jpg

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was not lucky to have a computer at home.
I used to think myself as a computer and solved the flow-chart or basic codes line by line.

I learnt computer programming i.e. Basic, Fortran and Cobol at a small private institute. There I handled computer which I do not remember name but it had a green monitor and 8 inch floppy (literally) disk system. Many time we had to swap floppies to start a different program.

At work, I got chance to use original IBM PC with two 5 1/2 inch floppies disk system and a PC XT with White monitor and 10MB HDD. RAM on those days followed Bill Gates Advise and remained at 640 K.

Developed programs for our company in GWBasic and dBASE II

Regards,

Anand

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Commodore PET 2001
PET 4032 with Disc Drives and Printer
Acorn Atom
BBC Model B, ZX Spectrum, TRS-80 Model 100 , Yamaha CX5M II MSX
Atari ST & Cambridge Z88

Had a couple of non Intel workstation computers (so not really home computers) after the ST but mainly moved onto PC's

Woofs

Licensed User
Longtime User
I started with a Texas Instruments TI 99/4a at age 13. (But "discovered" my love of computers through Apple II and TRS 80s in local retail stores.)

1589821118828.png

Then:
  • Commodore 64
  • Commodore 128
  • Amiga 1000

Then on to primarily PCs with a sprinkling of Macs...

makis_best

Licensed User
Longtime User
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48,
after that Amstrad CPC6128 with color monitor. (I keep having it and use it).
Then Amstrad CPC6128 Plus with color monitor.
My last computer from Home generation was Amiga 500.
Then I enter to PC world.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48,
after that Amstrad CPC6128 with color monitor. (I keep having it and use it).
Then Amstrad CPC6128 Plus with color monitor.
My last computer from Home generation was Amiga 500.
Then I enter to PC world.
Did you have Burnin Rubber on Cartridge for the 6128 plus?

Mikelgiles

Licensed User
Longtime User
My very first program was one to calculate material and labor costs for manufacturing business forms and it was done in the late 60's on a Monroe programmable calculator. took about 6 feet of tape to show all of the calculations. Then to a Wang Computer 2200 if I remember correctly. I do remember that it had 32k of read only and 32k of read/write memory and 2 8 1/2 floppies. It came in a desk console and only cost $25000. But with that much memory and power I was on top of the world! The first one that I actually made income with was a Intertec Superbrain Microcomputer which had about the same power but only $3500 ( I still have one of these in storage somewhere I think). We sold the first 35 of these to a large forms company to do their forms sales pricing with after replacing the alpha portion of the keyboard keys redone representing different features from their price book. Later computers were sold to do time and material estimating. During the 80's we also did software based on a verity of computers such as Commodore 64, Tandy(Radio Shack) TRS80, Compaq and even the Televideo 803 networked computers. During this period I saw Apple and Microsoft working their way into giant status, Microsoft replace Digital Research's CP/M OS with MS-DOS( with CP/M security was 'if you had the disk' so you never wanted to loose a disk! We were very late getting on the PC wagon and learned to never under weigh the power of IBM. We were also pretty slow getting into Windows and out of DOS. My biggest mistake ever was to hire the experts to make the changover from DOS to Windows( four experts resulted in one converted application and one lawsuit out of over 200 apps). Had a very good year 2000 due to upgrades to keep computers from going ka-boom at midnight on the last day of the year. Was also slow moving from Novell to Microsoft networking. I seemed to be pretty slow on the important moves LOL

kstainsb

Licensed User
Longtime User
I had this as my first computer! I remember a piece of blu-tac at the back was all that stopped the ram pack from shifting and zapping my hours of hard work! Crazy times!

My first was a Timex Sinclair 1000 with the optional 16k ram pack. Used a TV for a monitor and a cassette deck to store/load programs.
I replaced it with a C64.View attachment 94271

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
not 100% sure about the order but I guess it was

micro professor (strange Z80 based computer board and looked like a plastic book)
tandy trs-80 model 3
c64
tandy trs-80 pocket computer (1 line edit basic fun) and looks close to what @DarkMann posted
c128 (with jiffyDOS, 1541/81/SDcard/EasyFlash cart)
amiga 600 (with virtual floppy disk image reader from USB stick)

still have the last 3

and a videopac/oddysey system to code on for fun (really challenging with only a few dozens of bytes RAM :) ) and ofcourse several tools for it written in B4J