B4R Question ESP32C3 Logging

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
has anyone managed to get logging working with an ESP32C3?
It works in the Arduino IDE.
If you programme the ESP with the Arduino IDE then close it and the serial monitor down, then 'connect' in the B4R IDE the output is received in the logging window. But if you programme from the B4R IDE the ESP is programmed (Blink works ok with the onboard LED) but there is no logging output.
Any ideas?
Thanks

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Further information:
In the Arduino IDE the JTAG Adapter has to be set to "Integrated USB JTAG", which isn't available in the B4R Board selector option. Perhaps that's the problem?

Edit: Just checked again - it is there but made no difference!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johan Hormaza

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand, all ESP32 modules have worked perfectly for me.
What ESP32 C3 module are you using and what type of boards are you compiling with?
Please give me more information to help you.

Upvote 0

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,
It's this item on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395019526698?var=663596877874. I have ordered some different ones in case it's this specific one that's the problem: but it seems unlikely as it works with the Arduino IDE and also outputs log text if you start it with the Arduino IDE then switch over to the B4R one.
I'm using the ESP32C3 Dev Board setting which, as I say, works on the Arduino IDE. I tried a couple of others at random but they didn't help. (I have ESP32 V1.0.6 installed on the Arduino. I tried v3.0.0, which also didn't work, but have had to revert it as v3 crashes other ESP32 boards compiled in B4R!)
I set USB CDC on Boot and JTAG Adapter both to enabled in Arduino. The JTAG setting is available in B4R but I don't think the USB CDC one is.

Upvote 0

RJB

Licensed User
Longtime User
In case anyone has this problem.
There is a new version of the ESP32 in the Arduino IDE board manager (v3.0.1). with this selected the B4R IDE ESP32C3 Dev Module now has the USB CDC option available. With this and the JTAG Adapter options both enabled logging now works!!!
However trying to compile other software, using the ESP32 Dev Module then fails as mentioned above so I have had to revert to an earlier version for that! I'll raise this as a further question/ bug.

Upvote 0