Tcp and http protocols.
Ok,now i hace any idea.
TLA? What's that?sorry

Enviado desde mi HTC Desire usando Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
annoying isn't it, when you don't know what it means.

TLA = Three Letter Acronym

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks but its in some strange foreign language.

I don't understand it.

I'll tell you what, because YOU want some help then I'll go on the internet to try to decipher your first message to figure out what an OPC server is ....

NOT

:)

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ah, the light begins to dawn

Ah right, and if memory serves I can further break down those dastardly acronyms by remembering that OLE stands for Object Linking & Embedding which is a Microsoft thing that would allow you to do things like embed a Word document right inside your application.

OLE for Process Control ... hmmmm.... I suppose then that to help fanfalveto someone would need to have direct experience with that server.

I was hoping that my general knowledge of TCP might be enough.

I once figured out how to use two sessions of the app that comes with windows 'Telnet' to manually do FTP :) (File Transfer Protocol before you ask) :) One session would be connected to port 21 (the command channel) and the other to whichever port you'd designated to be the data channel.

You'd issue a command in the Data channel Telnet client... like PWD (Print Working Directory) and watch the other telnet client to see the working directory get printed :) stuff like that.

I posted about it on the PowerBASIC forums and I thought it gave people a much better insight into the workings of FTP which otherwise looked a bit like voodoo magic.

I gave examples of manually accessing POP email accounts using Telnet too :) and I worked somewhere once where they had strict controls over what applications you were allowed to install ... shhhh I used to IRC (Internet Relay Chat) using a Telnet client :)

A lot of these old tried and tested protocols are actually quite simple when you get down to it.

TIP: You can learn a lot! about a protocol by reading the RFC (Request For Comments) for that protocol.

So say you want to learn how to make your own IRC client, just google for IRC RFC

etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0