Windows 11?

kimstudio

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't believe my less-than one year new game laptop doesn't meet the windows 11 requirement - no TPM :eek:
Business laptop has TPM, but why business laptop needs a new UI? It also requires an 8th gen cpu...

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I see some users able to install Windows 11 inside VMWare or VirtualBox so this trigger me to dig more. It seems there is a workaround to bypass the TPM 2.0 thingy.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
a workaround to bypass the TPM 2.0 thingy
One hopes so because the TPM thing is going to be serious piece of "anti-poaching" protection for vendors. Maybe this is another rivet in the Linux-growth truck - because TPM could be irritating (mostly because everyone will have upgrade the hardware and our machines - those guys think we all have POCKETS and POCKETS of money!!).

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you didn't get one of the few TPM modules available yesterday, don't worry—you almost certainly don't need one. OEM hardware TPM is generally considered the most hardened version, and it's soldered directly to the board in PCs intended for enterprise use. Less-hardened firmware TPM support is built right into modern AMD and Intel processors, and that will satisfy Windows 11's TPM requirement just fine.

It's a bit difficult to get a complete, accurate list of all CPUs with support for onboard, firmware-based TPM, largely because the demand for it was fairly low until this week. As far as we can see, every x86_64 CPU on Microsoft's supported processor lists includes that support.
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/heres-what-youll-need-to-upgrade-to-windows-11/

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If we look closely, then we see that MS has released a Win version with only cosmetic changes but new hardware requirement.

Now this will force new hardware purchase. Users will get nothing but some window dressing and loss of money.
Obviously someone will become rich.

As far as older hardware not supporting the new shiny OS then do not worry, just give it time. When all new sales dry up, then MS will come out with upgrade for older machines too. After all MS wants billions of computer using Win 11.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If we look closely, then we see that MS has released a Win version with only cosmetic changes but new hardware requirement.

Now this will force new hardware purchase. Users will get nothing but some window dressing and loss of money.
Obviously someone will become rich.

As far as older hardware not supporting the new shiny OS then do not worry, just give it time. When all new sales dry up, then MS will come out with upgrade for older machines too. After all MS wants billions of computer using Win 11.
They still have Windows 10 users. These users can continue to use it until 2025. Or may extend another year to 2026 or 2027. Maybe MS is targeting Win 11 for new users or businesses. They still make money on both versions.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just like the saying 'between a rock and a hard place'
1 PC has no TPM but it likes the processor (i5)
1 PC has TPM but it doesn't like the processor (i3 gen6)

Oh well 4 years to save for a new PC. (but the specs will probably change again before then)

pliroforikos

Licensed User
I think its a nice opportunity to start installing b4x in a beautiful, friendly, fast linux distribution. Only b4x and photoshop keeps me in Windows.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Despite having TPM 2.0 active the health app for my Surface Studio reports an unsupported processor 😠 What the F.... ⁉
It seems you have 7th generation Core i7. The minimum is 8th generation.
It's a bit difficult to get a complete, accurate list of all CPUs with support for onboard, firmware-based TPM, largely because the demand for it was fairly low until this week. As far as we can see, every x86_64 CPU on Microsoft's supported processor lists includes that support.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
7th generation Core i7.
6th generation actually, it is Surface Studio 2 that has a 7th generation CPU. Of course I know that the supposed minimum is 8th generation. The unanswered question is why they are disenfranchising the majority of the world's PC fleet? I can see another Windows 8 debacle on the horizon.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The unanswered question is why they are disenfranchising the majority of the world's PC fleet?
No. Look from business point of view. They are pushing new PC sales.
Remember for each PC sale MS gets cut for the OS.

Num3

Licensed User
Longtime User
My 2 cents:
Win98 -> Good
Win Me -> Bad
Win2000 -> Good
Win Me -> Bad
WinXP -> Good
Win Vista -> Bad
Win7 -> Good
Win8 -> Bad
Win10 -> Good
Win11 … You get the point

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No problems here as both my laptops are fully compliant with TPM blah blah blah, processor compatibility, direct X 12 and all the other rubbish that M$ Windows 11 apparently needs to install. But (as mentioned above) with some specific file swapping in the ISO install file, Windows 11 can basically be installed on any machine ;)

My current laptops are
Dell G3 15 3500 i7 10th Gen i7-10750H
Asus ZenBook 15 UX534FTC 10th Gen i7-10510U