Zen of Android

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the accepted form layout for typical android apps?

For example, does one force the user to use the Back button (or swipe gesture) to return from a called form - or do you provide a back button (Save, Exit, Close, etc) on each form. Are listviews always full screen or sized for device?

I do recall the Zen of Palm - but hell - that was a lifetime ago...

Also, many devices I see have off screen sizes. Will an app designed for a 800x480 automatically adjust for a larger size of 800x600 - for example?

Thanks

Jim Brown

Licensed User
Longtime User
I prefer to think of the back button as "go back to previous view"
In my apps, if I have jumped into another view (from the main view) I ensure the back button returns me to the main screen
If I am already in the main view then the back button closes the app

For list views, yes, full screen unless you need some extra control options such as filtering:
WordLearn4.png

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For example, does one force the user to use the Back button (or swipe gesture) to return from a called form . . .
I use for the moment a button to go back (Wondows habit) but I don't really have experience with other Android applications to know what is commonly used.

Are listviews always full screen or sized for device?
No you can adjust the size. Besides, when you add a ListView in the Designer it is not full screen size !

Will an app designed for a 800x480 automatically adjust for a larger size of 800x600 - for example?
No, this is up to you.
If you have two resolutions, for example 320x480 and 480x640, that means with the same width/height ratio the system adjust itself.
But if you have two resolutions, for example 480x640 and 480x800 with a different width/height ratio, it's up to you mange the additional space. In that case you should create two layouts one for each width/height ratio. If you want also to mange the two orientations you will need two more layouts.

Best regards.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, thanks.

I am beginning to understand.

With the introduction of service and code modules (thank you VERY much), managing the business logic does not have to be contained in the activity - which if I understand correctly - would have been duplicated in each new layout one is trying to support. Layouts for each screen res shall only contain the controls (views). The simple fact that these devices flip from portrait to landscape with a rotation. DOUBLES the number of form work required... Such is life...

Upvote 0